nbkc is a Missouri community bank serving residents in all 50 states. It offers a range of online banking services including mortgages, personal loans, credit cards, and bank accounts. nbkc is an experienced mortgage lender specializing in conventional home loans, FHA loans, VA loans, and home equity products. The entire mortgage process is done online with support from nbkc’s home loan specialists.
Most community banks operate in a certain city or region, but nbkc provides its local touch nationally. Based in Kansas City, Missouri, nbkc provides a wide range of home loans and home equity products to residents of all 50 states.
To get pre-qualified online, all you need to do is enter your name, contact details, address, and estimated credit score. If you’re applying for a conventional loan, you’ll see a choice of five loan offers ranging from higher APRs with low lender fees to lower APRs with higher lender fees. These are just a guide to your minimum possible rate and don’t actually constitute a final offer. If you see a loan, you like, follow the prompts to apply online or call nbkc to speak directly with a representative.
- Hands-on customer service
- Flexible lender fees for conventional loans
- No lender or origination fees for VA loans
- Face-to-face service only available in Kansas City area
- No way of avoiding lender fees altogether unless you qualify for VA loan
The main reason to go with nbkc is that it offers nationwide service with the local touch you could only get with a community bank. This is most prevalent in nbkc’s approach to fees. Most big lenders are rigid when it comes to fees, but nbkc appears to be flexible. nbkc offers VA borrowers the option of taking a higher APR with no lender or origination fees. It offers all other borrowers low-fee options with higher APRs. These options give the borrower the option of purchasing a home without spending too much money up-front.
We don’t have any major complaints about nbkc’s service. One thing worth noting is that it has physical branches in the Kansas City area. Buyers in Missouri and Kansas might find it worth their while to turn up to a physical branch and speak to a loan agent. Buyers in the other 48 states are restricted to doing their mortgage application online (although most buyers would prefer this over a physical application, anyway).
For a community bank, nbkc has a good spread of home loans for purchase and refinance. It also offers home equity borrowing.
Here’s the full list of nbkc home loan products:
- Conventional loans: Choice of fixed-rate or adjustable rate. Requires 20% down payment and minimum credit score of 620.
- FHA loans: Designed for low-credit borrowers with credit score of 500-619. Usually comes with fixed rate, requires only a 3.5% to 10% down payment.
- VA loans: nbkc specializes in these government-backed loans for active and former military personnel. Options include no down payment and no lender or origination fees.
- Home Equity Lines of Credit: Lets home owners withdraw money against their equity, up to a pre-set credit limit.
Each of nbkc’s home loans comes with several attached features to help you get the best deal for your needs. The following list is a general one, as features vary slightly from loan to loan:
- Apply online or by phone: Buyers have the choice of applying for a mortgage online or with phone assistance. If you wish, you may do everything only online, including uploading documentation and e-signing the closing documents.
- Rate lock: If you’re offered a good rate but aren’t yet ready to buy, nbkc lets you lock in your rate for a certain period of time.
- Flexible fees: For VA loans, nbkc offers the option of no lender, origination, underwriting, or processing fees. For other loans, there are low-fee options if you meet certain conditions. The catch with lower fees is that you get a slightly higher APR, which costs you more over the long term.
- Part of a community bank: In addition to mortgages, nbkc offers a range of other online banking services such as checking and savings accounts, credit cards, and personal loans.
One of the great things about nbkc is its transparent rates. On nbkc’s website, you can check out the lowest possible rate you’d qualify for based on your state and credit score. This feature is free and you don’t need to enter any contact details.
Here’s a breakdown of nbkc’s terms and rates:
- Loan terms of 10, 15, 20, or 30 years.
- 15-year fixed-rate conventional mortgages start from 3.813% APR with $3,375.00 in lender fees to 4.150% with $225 in lender fees.
- 30-year fixed-rate conventional mortgages start from 4.130% APR with $4,275 in lender fees to 4.516% with $525 in lender fees.
- 5/1 ARMs start from 4.938% APR.
nbkc supports online mortgage applications, but it also has a team on hand during business hours in case you’d prefer to speak to someone.
- Phone: 800-375-8096 for customer service or 844-779-3839 to start a mortgage application.
- Address: 8320 Ward Parkway Kansas City, MO 64114
In this day and age, any mortgage lender worth its salt should allow online applications. However, many applicants would feel better knowing they can still get personalized service if they need it. This is where the likes of nbkc step in, with a sleek online mortgage platform backed by the sort of friendly service you’d expect from a community bank.